Voting rights resources
Here you'll find instructions, videos, and other important stuff to help you register voters and restore the civil rights of your fellow Virginians.
- check a voter's registration status
- find a polling place
- see acceptable forms of photo ID
- register online (if the voter strongly prefers)
- answer almost any common question about voting
- check whether someone's rights have been restored
- begin the process of restoration if not
How to comply with the rules when registering voters
If you need a refresher on the requirements and procedure, you can watch this handy 15-minute video from the Department of Elections.
Dos and Don'ts
- be polite
- be persistent—a little more than feels natural
- ask whether the voter needs assistance filling out the form
- give the voter a receipt when you take the completed application, and explain what will happen next
- return completed applications and restoration forms right away
- have fun—you're saving democracy!
- register folks who are ineligible (e.g. under 18 as of Election Day / not U.S. citizens / not Virginia residents, students, or military personnel stationed here)
- sign the form on behalf of the voter
- alter or pre-populate the form in any way
- discriminate on any basis
- use personal information from the form in any way
- "bribe, threaten, coerce, [or] intimidate" anyone into registering (duh)
- forget to return your completed applications and restoration forms!